The new Columbia Middle School opened for the 2001-2002 school year. The school is located in south DeKalb County approximately 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta.
The school is equipped with 52 core area classrooms, 3 science demonstration rooms, a writing lab, a math lab, a fully equipped family and consumer science lab, a career connection lab, a business education lab, a technology education lab, a foreign language lab, band, strings, chorus and key boarding classrooms.
Columbia has a gymnasium complete with weight, wrestling and locker rooms and a Media Center equipped with books and technology to assist students in their education.
School Mission and Goals The mission of Columbia Middle School is to provide a rigorous, first-class education while developing globally competitive citizens.
- The middle school should address the total needs of the child-academic, physical social and emotional.
- An orderly environment based on mutual respect optimizes learning
- Students learn best through creative approaches that address different learning styles
- Celebrating cultural diversity enriches students’ understanding of the real world and their place in it.
- Opportunities at our school will assist students in becoming life-long learners and productive citizens in technological environments.
Columbia Middle School is pleased to provide a magnet program in Math, Science and Technology for our students. Columbia follows the middle school philosophy, which specifically addresses the needs of students in this age range. Academic teams of core curriculum teachers, who coordinate interdisciplinary activities and devise strategies to improve student achievement, teach our students.
Columbia Middle School’s demographics reflect a community that is viable but transient. The racial composition of the community is predominantly Black (97%) with approximately 1% White, 1% Asian, and 1% Hispanic. Columbia Middle presently has fifteen students enrolled in the ESOL program.
Awards and Recognition
- Recipient of $50,000 award from the Chris Brown Foundation 2017
- Georgia Regional Science Olympiad Gold, Silver, and Bronze 2005, 2007, 2009, 2013
- Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl - Tied for 3rd place countywide in 2013
- DeKalb/Rockdale Science and Engineering Fair 2nd and 3rd place winners 2005
- My South Essay Contest 2nd place 2005, 2007, 2009, 2013
- DeKalb/Rockdale Science and Engineering Fair 1st place winners 2004, 2009
- Environmental Education Alliance of Georgia grant for outdoor classroom